Labels

Monday, January 7, 2019

115*. Pine Warbler

Date          May 17, 2003
Location     Green Lawn Cemetery (the Pit), Columbus, OH




This is an incorrect entry. I probably did not see this bird. It was most likely a Chipping Sparrow.

I identified this bird by sound and caught a glimpse as it flew from the tree that I was stalking. It was not enough of a view to get an id. I felt confident that I knew his song.

However, in the years that followed, I never saw a Pine Warbler this late in the season (and indeed, they are generally gone by the end of April), but I did see and hear LOTS of Chipping Sparrows at this location.

So, it was a combination of wishful thinking/overconfidence.

I have left this entry here because I don't really know when I saw my real first Pine Warbler. I believe it was the next year, and it was early to mid April. This time, it was a definite identification. He was even in the pine trees on the east side of the Pit. So he belongs on this list, just not here.

Now, it normally wouldn't really matter about counting this bird in May, 2003, but you see, the record number of life birds in any calendar month is 23 -- achieved this month and May of 2007. But really, only 22 was tallied in May, 2003, so 2007 and the magical Arizona trip takes the title outright.


Cornell: Pine Warbler


No comments:

Post a Comment