Labels

Saturday, January 19, 2019

183. Gambel's Quail

Date         May 9, 2007
Location    Squaw Peak, Phoenix, AZ




The day had arrived.

A business trip to Arizona. An opportunity to go birding in the west, where practically every bird would be new.

The first session of the conference started at 4:00 PM, but thanks to an early flight and the time change, I would have a few hours before it started.

And I had a rental car.

And it was my birthday. All alone in the desert. Best birthday ever.

My first stop was at a hill called Squaw Peak. It lay strategically between the airport and my destination, a Marriott north of the city.

As I drove up the hill to the parking area, I spied a medium-sized bird nearby. What was it?! Can't tell -- must go park and get out.

So started the greatest birding trip of my life to that point, and since really.

Standing in the parking lot, I heard one "Chicago" behind me. I turned around and saw a bird flying right at me. It veered to my right and landed in the gully behind me. I later saw a whole covey in a different gully running about and calling to each other.


Cornell: Gambel's Quail


No comments:

Post a Comment