Labels

Monday, January 21, 2019

220. American Avocet

Date         June 8, 2011
Location    Duck Creek Trail, Las Vegas, NV




My first trip to Las Vegas was basically a bust, so I made sure to try someplace different, someplace with water. I saw a lot of birds that you wouldn't necessarily expect to see in the desert.

The area I picked had a concrete trail meandering through the usual desert scrub, and the best I could do were some quail and a mockingbird that seemed to be following me.

Eventually, I got to a wetland area with lots of reeds, deeper water, and mudflats. Several avocets were there, mostly resting, standing in water about a foot deep, so they actually didn't look that tall. I suppose if I were standing out in the desert, I'd be standing in water too.




No comments:

Post a Comment