Labels

Friday, January 18, 2019

173. Boat-tailed Grackle

Date         September 5, 2006
Location    Buckroe Beach, Hampton, VA




I was visiting sister-in-law and family in Virginia before my Fellowship Admissions Course in DC (long story), and I didn't want to let the opportunity go by without going to the beach.

So I got out a local map and found a beach that was relatively nearby. I had no idea if it would be good for birding, but I wanted to take a shot. The weather was gray and cool, but that didn't bother my two nephews, who frolicked in the water and sand while I looked through binoculars.

The grackles were the first thing I saw before I even got to the beach. There was a large flock on the lawn next to the beach. The females were actually easier to identify, or at least verify that they weren't Common Grackles. The calls were the giveaway though, besides the habitat.

This gave me all three grackles. I must say that I had quite the satisfied feeling. Boat-tails are not nearly as widespread as the other two, and my trip to the beach was already paying off. But it would get even better.


Cornell: Boat-tailed Grackle


No comments:

Post a Comment