Labels

Thursday, January 17, 2019

172. Yellow-throated Warbler

Date         July 1, 2006
Location    Chief Logan, near Chilicothe, OH




This bird was my Chief Logan nemesis. I heard them singing all over the place. But while I was quite sure I knew what I was hearing, since warblers have some overlapping patterns in their songs, I wanted to see one before I officially recorded it. I have no problem counting owls, nightjars, etc. and other obvious songs on my list, but his left a least a little bit of room for doubt. And I just couldn't find them -- singing away in a tree for minutes, and I stand there like a dope.

I finally got a clear look at one across from where the chats were, so basically in the open camp site across from Handicraft. It was nice to have solid confirmation, and of course, he's a handsome bird, very close to the Magnolia Warbler.


This was the last bird seen at camp that year, and it was practically the last bird I saw in Ohio. My list would take on a new character from this point on, in which most new birds would come from out of state. In fact, only 22 of the next 118 birds would be seen in Ohio, and many of those at Magee Marsh, which is 2.5 hours from my home in central Ohio.

Since I've moved away from Ohio, it is unlikely I'll get too many more birds there. But it still reigns as the state with the most on the list: 189 out 292 as of this writing. It will always be the place where the obsession was born.


Cornell: Yellow-throated Warbler


No comments:

Post a Comment