Labels

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

97. Grasshopper Sparrow

Date          May 3, 2003
Location     Prairie Oaks Metro Park, Madison county, OH




False memories are strange. I was sure that my first Grasshopper Sparrow was on my own across from the mud flats, but it clearly was not from my notes.

This was during a Saturday morning birding program. I heard them first, then our group eventually located a couple at quite a distance. It wasn't much of a look, but their singing was constant background noise throughout the morning.

The other time I remember seeing them -- well, it was mostly listening to them, as at the first sighting. These guys love to just hunker down in the grass and sing. Anyway, it was another very brief look.

For some reason, in later years at Prairie Oaks, I never heard them anymore. Strange because the habitat really didn't change much and they were common at first.

I kind of like this guy because he sounds like a grasshopper and hides in the grass like a grasshopper. I missed hearing them when they suddenly became scarce.


Cornell: Grasshopper Sparrow


No comments:

Post a Comment