Labels

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

91. Palm Warbler

Date          April 28, 2003
Location     Green Lawn Cemetery (the Pit), Columbus, OH




I was doing a lot of research in those days on where to go birding. I found an article that mentioned Green Lawn cemetery. It was the same article that mentioned that the peak of spring migration was May 7-12, dates that I always circled on my calendar from then on.

Green Lawn cemetery would become my go-to spot for spring birding after the duck migration slowed down. Starting on this day in April, I would add 27 new birds in 31 days. It was a magical time. I would go there before work, for lunch, after work, whenever I could. It was everything I could have hoped for.

The first bird I saw there was the Palm Warbler. I saw him mostly from below in a tree. The yellow undertail coverts, light streaks along the side, and bobbing tail were diagnostic.


Cornell: Palm Warbler


No comments:

Post a Comment