Labels

Monday, January 14, 2019

144. Philadelphia Vireo

Date          May 6, 2004
Location     Green Lawn cemetery (the Pit), Columbus, OH




This was definitely one of the more satisfying identifications of my career, and it was a collaborative effort. An older lady was looking at it with me. At first I just narrowed it down to a Warbling Vireo, but she wasn't satisfied with that. (I wasn't either really, but I couldn't come up with anything else.)

With more careful observation, I noticed the spring yellow on the throat and undertail, and she agreed. Sometimes it pays to be very careful and have a good field guide -- and carefully look at what the field guide is showing. I have a feeling that many of these are misidentified because they're a bit tricky and people just write them off as a different vireo.

I had a similar experience a few years later at Magee Marsh. Because of this experience, I was able to see that it was this bird and suggest it to some others nearby, and they were like, yeah, that's it! (In other words, I was like, the hero expert guy. But I never would have gotten there without the persistence of the old lady.)




No comments:

Post a Comment