Labels

Friday, January 11, 2019

133. Red-shouldered Hawk

Date          March 3, 2004
Location     Peachtree Audubon Preserve, Atlanta, GA




An actuarial seminar brought me to Georgia. I made contact with Audubon down there and someone agreed to take me birding. I told her my target bird was the Brown-headed Nuthatch. Since it was still winter, the southern migrants weren't there yet, but this southern bird is year-round, so I figured it made sense.

I took the train out to where she lived. She lived very near a good birding site, so we spent about an hour there before the sun went down, then she and her husband hosted me for dinner.

While I didn't see the nuthatch, toward the end of our walk we saw this hawk perching on the rail of the boardwalk. A couple of minutes later we saw him flying over the pond.

She definitely aided in the identification, but I was pretty confident I could have come up with it on my own.


Cornell: Red-shouldered Hawk


No comments:

Post a Comment