Labels

Friday, January 11, 2019

129. American Kestrel

Date          October 23, 2003
Location     Roberts/270 northbound ramp, Columbus, OH




On the left hand side of the ramp is the typical large area of grass bordered by the ramp, the highway, and the overpass. It's all just scrubby grass except for one tree, which I eventually called the "perching" tree. I often have to stop on this ramp, waiting for the light.

I saw a rather large gray blob on the perching tree to my left. While I was waiting for the light to turn, as quick as I could I whipped out my binoculars. I first saw the rufous back, and I thought Red-shouldered Hawk, but in the back of my mind I was thinking it was too small for that. That's when I saw the face, and the identification was unmistakable.

From that day forward, I saw kestrels on the tree pretty regularly from time to time. Then one day, the tree was gone, probably knocked down by a storm.


Cornell: American Kestrel


No comments:

Post a Comment