Labels

Wednesday, January 9, 2019

124. Common Nighthawk

Date          July 24, 2003
Location     Tuttle Crossing Mall, Hilliard, OH




There are some birds you get because you research exactly where they are (e.g. the eagles or the woodcocks), and sometimes you're just minding your own business and they fall in your lap.

As soon as I stepped out of the van after parking, I heard one in the air above us. I eventually spotted three of them, calling to each other. Once I saw the near one I could clearly see the white patches on the wings and their erratic flight.

The most common place I saw nighthawks was in parking lots. Actually, I saw them almost exclusively in parking lots in the summer time. It was almost a date night ritual, and one that I enjoyed very much. I rarely bothered to look for them -- just enjoy their strange and wonderful sound.

If not for this sighting, I might have broken my streak of at least one bird per month, although a trip out of town would also save the streak. It was also a bird that almost literally fell in our lap.




No comments:

Post a Comment