Labels

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

149. King Rail

Date         August 6, 2004
Location    Prairie Oaks metro park, Columbus, OH





Reports of nesting King Rails brought me out to this site on that day. I was scanning the opposite shore when it came out of the weeds to my right on the near shore. She had a chick trailing behind her. She caught something (probably a frog) and fed it to the chick. A couple was there to see too. They were traveling through the area and were about to give up and go when I spotted it for them. She was very happy.

And of course I was too for getting a rail. To this day 15 years later, it's the only one I have.

They walked around for while in the open then went back into the weeds.

The report I had said that there were two chicks, but only one was there. No doubt the other one died somehow.

King Rails were never reported as coming back to nest there as far as I know.


Cornell: King Rail


No comments:

Post a Comment