Labels

Thursday, December 27, 2018

85. Carolina Chickadee

Date          April 19, 2003
Location     Falling Rock, near Newark, OH





This bird actually belongs earlier on the list, but I deleted that entry long ago. I had it as a Black-capped Chickadee. In my notes, I had made the id based on his call only, which isn't terribly reliable to begin with, and certainly not to someone as inexperienced as I.

After many years of birding in central Ohio, I was able to pretty much determine that only Carolina (not Black-capped) were in the area. The guidebooks at the time had the range cutting right through Columbus, so initially I thought I could get either one on any given day.

For this entry, I only heard the song, which was the four-parted song (the only chickadee song I ever heard in central Ohio). But in any case, I had seen one much earlier, as noted above.

So, this one is kind of messy, but here it is at number 86. I would get the black-capped later in an area that was definitely in its range -- in Nebraska.


Cornell: Carolina Chickadee



No comments:

Post a Comment