Labels

Monday, December 24, 2018

66. Common Goldeneye

Date          January 31, 2003
Location     Greenlawn Ave dam, Columbus, OH




Around this time, I noticed that I had a streak going of at least one new bird per month. I wanted to keep this going, and I just barely did on January 31st. And what a way to continue the streak! I finally got a couple of ducks, and the goldeneye was a real treat -- a true winter bird.

After this day, the Greenlawn dam area would become a haunt of mine for the rest of the winter and early spring. (I had not discovered Blendon Woods yet, which is generally better, except maybe for birds like the goldeneye).

I don't remember the exact count, but I do remember that there were multiple males and females.

They were below the dam, and I saw them as I stood near the small parking area near the trail head.

I'm not sure when I acquired my 10x50 binoculars, but I'm quite sure I had them by this time, or I never would have been able to see them.


Cornell: Common Goldeneye


No comments:

Post a Comment