Labels

Friday, December 21, 2018

47. Wood Duck

Date          September 28, 2002
Location     Chief Logan Scout Reservation, Ray, OH




These birds really made me work for this one.

There was more than one, but I never got a good look at the whole "group" of them. I chased them all day long. They were always just out of sight in the beaver pond but frequently making noise. The call notes were certainly diagnostic. But, being still relatively new at this, I really wanted to see them too.

I finally did see one well enough to confirm the identification, but it was certainly a less-than-satisfying look. I pretty much knew what they were, but it took a lot of stalking to finally see one and feel satisfied that they were really Wood Ducks. They were incredibly shy, flying off whenever they figured out I was around.

Fortunately, in the future I would get great looks at this incredible bird.


Cornell: Wood Duck




No comments:

Post a Comment