Labels

Saturday, November 3, 2018

23. Red-tailed Hawk

Date          August 2, 2002
Location     Atlas Rd. behind Sam's Club, Hilliard, OH





I honestly don't remember if this was the actual first sighting, but I'm guessing not. I was exploring some back roads behind Sam's Club because, at the time, I was almost as much into finding new birding areas as actually birding. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something because I was just going to the same place over and over.


So as I was driving I happened to see him perched on a tree. Then he glided down to an adjacent field. I parked nearby and positioned myself so I could look at him on the ground, walking carefully around the cover of the trees. I didn't expect to see him still there, but it turns out that he had captured something. I saw him tear away at fur and discard it to the side. I watched him for about ten minutes as he ate what I presume to be a rabbit, but I couldn't see the prey item, hidden in the tall grass.


Cornell: Red-tailed Hawk



No comments:

Post a Comment