Labels

Friday, November 2, 2018

18. Belted Kingfisher

Date          July 22, 2002
Location     Scioto River, Dublin, OH




As mentioned in the post for number 17, I was out on what had become my weekly bird outing. I had spied out an area in Dublin just along the Scioto river near the High St. bridge. There were some businesses there and a small parking lot. Next to those were a small pond (which I would later dub the "Scioto Lagoon" so I could remember the correct body of water) and a line of trees concealing the river. I probed about and found a short trail leading to the river. There was a large area of rocky shore that permitted some nice birding. I could tell from the water line that these rocks were often under water. It would be no surprise that by late summer they would be revealed.

I don't remember if it was this day or a subsequent trip when I ran into a small mammal on these rocks. It was fairly small and had reddish-brown hair. It looked rather like a river otter of some sort. He was just ambling along and walked right past me, within about 10 feet. He looked up at me briefly but didn't miss a step.

I saw the kingfisher perch on a branch overlooking the river. It was a classic set-up. He dived into the river and came back up with a small fish. Back at his perch, he attempted to eat it, but he mishandled it, and it fell back in the river. He just sat there as if nothing had happened.





No comments:

Post a Comment