Labels

Friday, November 9, 2018

24. Baltimore Oriole

Date          August 10, 2002
Location     Scioto River, Dublin, OH





I returned a few times to this location after discovering it. What was really appealing to me was that it was in the middle of a busy suburban area -- basically downtown Dublin -- but just a few yards down a trail hidden among the trees, and you were suddenly in a fairly wild spot. I loved finding these "secret bird watching spots." 

I was standing on the rocky shore, and I heard him back behind me in the trees. I had a hard time finding him, but I eventually did high up in the treetops.

I've never bothered to rank my favorite bird songs, but I know that Baltimore Oriole would be very high on the list (up there with Wood Thrush, another that comes immediately to mind). The oriole's song is not one that has any particular pattern, but once you know the clear, sweet, whistling tone, it is immediately recognizable and a welcome sound on any spring or summer day.


Cornell: Baltimore Oriole



No comments:

Post a Comment