Labels

Sunday, October 14, 2018

9. Sandhill Crane

Date          July 6, 2002
Location     Heritage Rail Trail/Metro Park, Hilliard, OH




I had enjoyed my trip here two weeks previously, so I decided to visit this site again on another warm Saturday morning.

Actually, I probably didn't really know where else to go. But no matter, it was a good place.

It didn't take long to see this large bird over by the pond. He was constantly calling and walking. I made my way over to the pond and looked at him through my binoculars. He was somewhat backlit by the sun, so I worked my way around the pond to get a clearer look. Every few steps, I would stop to look through my binoculars, carefully memorizing what I saw because I didn't know how long he would stick around.

I continued to make my way around until he finally flew off. I know that at some point I paused to look at my field guide, and I had made the identification.

Sandhill cranes are not exactly rare in central Ohio, but they are not often seen. Even though I was a beginner, I was very sure of my identification. I was further vindicated a few weeks later when I went on a guided walk at the very same place. When I arrived a few minutes before the start time, the guide was hopping mad because he had seen a crane, but a couple of guys had chased it off just "to see what would happen."

In my notes I have that I wrote a detailed description of what happened in a letter to my wife's maternal grandmother. Unfortunately, I cannot find that letter today.


Cornell: Sandhill Crane


No comments:

Post a Comment