Labels

Saturday, October 13, 2018

7. Killdeer

Date          June 22, 2002
Location     Heritage Rail Trail/Metro Park, Hilliard, OH




Saturday, June 22, 2002 was my first true birding trip. Up to this point, my bird watching had always happened in conjunction with some other event. This is the first time I left my house, got in my car, and drove to a location for no other reason than to look for birds. I was thrilled -- but I was actually a little trepidatious about the whole thing. Was this how it was supposed to be done? I decided that I was just going to do it how I liked.

I chose this location because it was close to my house and I had already visited it a few days before to launch rockets with my sons. (It actually isn't a very good place for that since the grass is so long. Indeed, we lost a rocket that day, but sort of on purpose. That's another story for another day.) Killdeer are certainly known for being vociferous, but you should hear them after a rocket launch. It was bedlam in the Killdeer community.

I knew from that previous visit that there were Killdeer there. So this is another example of officially recording a species after the very first sighting.

Killdeer are fun to watch because they're so conspicuous and they look funny running around and bobbing about.

I have since observed many Killdeer since then, but I have still never seen the broken wing act, which is annoying because I've met a couple of non-birders who have seen it. I guess that's something I can still look forward to.


Cornell: Killdeer



No comments:

Post a Comment