Labels

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

14. Great Blue Heron

Date          July 13, 2002
Location     Columbus Zoo pond, Powell, OH





Yes, the location is at a zoo, but this was not a captive animal. In the Columbus zoo, there is a good-sized pond a short distance from the entrance. The most common birds there are Mallards and Canada Geese, of course, but today this species was there.

This was probably the first really "cool" bird I saw and probably helped me get interested in birding. We were at a company offsite (Actuarial Interaction Day) and were on break. I wondered over to a nearby pond and saw one standing in the water. Fortunately, a colleague happened to be there as well and identified it for me (he was an experienced birder). It was amazing to me that such an "exotic" bird was just hanging out more-or-less in civilization. This was back in 2000, but I decided to count this one instead.

He was standing erect very near the sidewalk circling the pond. At first I thought he was one of those zoo statues -- metal affairs that kids can sit on and take pictures with. So he was quite still, and quite tame. I remember my kids being pretty excited about it too, being so close.


Cornell: Great Blue Heron


No comments:

Post a Comment