Labels

Sunday, October 14, 2018

8. Spotted Sandpiper

Date          June 22, 2002
Location     Heritage Rail Trail/Metro Park, Hilliard, OH




The pond at this metro park is small but had an excellent muddy shoreline that was great for shorebirds. It was really exciting to get this one because to this point I had only seen passerines (except for the audio-only Whip-poor-will).

I also witnessed some sort of territorial display where one would rear up and spread his wings and charge another. It was reminiscent of the classic Dracula move when he turned into a bat. That's what I thought of, anyway. I've never seen it again since.

Helping me in the identification was the constant bobbing up and down of the tail. It was exciting to be able to use behavior, habitat, range, etc. and not just what the thing looked like.


No comments:

Post a Comment