Labels

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

10. Field Sparrow

Date          July 6, 2002
Location     Heritage Rail Trail/Metro Park, Hilliard, OH




I don't remember if it was this day or some future day during this first summer of bird watching that I decided that I was going to get a really good look at this bird by bringing a compact folding camp chair, plopping it down right amongst the tall grass, and waiting for him to come to me. I figured if I was right in the middle of the action, they would eventually happen by my location, and I could get a better look at them.

It didn't work.

In reality, my ability to see them well was hampered by my tiny 8x20 binoculars. I would eventually remedy that.

I heard him chipping through the brush and saw him singing on a small bush. The song and pink bill were the giveaways.

The bouncing-ball song of the Field Sparrow has a special place in my heart. It was the song I heard the most during my first few trips out, and when I hear it, it always brings me back.

Cornell: Field Sparrow


No comments:

Post a Comment