Labels

Thursday, October 11, 2018

4. American Crow

Date          June 8, 2002
Location     Chief Logan Scout Reservation, Ray, OH




The crows were ubiquitous that day, even into the heat of the afternoon. I watched them carefully though because I wasn't sure if they were crows or ravens. (Remember I was very much the novice at this point.) The range chart for the Common Raven brought them close to southern Ohio, where I was, and I didn't know how likely it was that ravens would be outside that range.

I shared my conundrum with one of the other adults at lunch time, and he was confident that they were crows. I wasn't going to take his word for it though.

I finally determined that they were indeed crows, and I remember using three criteria (other than the more obvious one: they were big black birds saying "caw-caw"): 1) they were gregarious; ravens are not; 2) the shape of the tail in flight, fan-shaped rather than wedge-shaped; and 3) the range. Ranges are rather imprecise, but taken with all the other evidence, it seemed to confirm the identification.


Cornell: American Crow



No comments:

Post a Comment