Labels

Saturday, April 20, 2019

297. Burrowing Owl

Date         April 11, 2019
Location    empty lot in neighborhood, Marco Island, FL




We were driving through a neighborhood on the way to dinner when we noticed a mailbox that had a manatee with pup statue as the post on a side street to our right. So we turned around to take a picture. As I drove back towards the road we were on, I spied an owl on a T-perch on a vacant lot. I could hardly believe my luck. This was the first owl I had ever seen in the wild without help (like a nest report or someone with a spotting scope set up).

The next evening we drove through the same neighborhood and saw several of these T-perches with owls on them (often another owl was perched nearby on the ground). They are actually pretty common. There is even a conservation program in place.

Marco Island Growth Management: Burrowing Owls


Cornell: Burrowing Owl


No comments:

Post a Comment