Labels

Saturday, April 20, 2019

290. Tricolored Heron

Date         April 10, 2019
Location    Naples Bay, Naples, FL




On the first day of our vacation in the Naples/Marco Island area, we took an eco-tour by boat in Naples. It was just me and Mieka with a guy on his boat. He proved very adept at pointing out birds and other wildlife as well as the ecological aspects of the area.

The first bird he found for me was a tricolored heron. We were "chasing" after some dolphins in a very quiet cove, and there were several Snowy Egrets on the shore. They were quite common, so I wasn't really looking carefully. He announced the Tricolored Heron and I was able to spot it immediately.

I was surprised at how small it was. It was basically the same size as the egrets. For some reason, I had it in my mind that they were the same size as Great Blue Herons, probably because when I first learned about the bird, I thought of it as the great blue but just a little different.


Cornell: Tricolored Heron


No comments:

Post a Comment