Labels

Saturday, April 20, 2019

296. Least Tern

Date         April 11, 2019
Location    Sand Dollar Island, Marco Island, FL




I had heard from both boat guides that the Least Terns were just coming back and that there were reports of them being sighted in recent days. We stopped at the very place where there was a spot reserved for their nesting, so I was hopeful.

I saw and heard some terns right away, flying all about and diving in the shallow part of the surf. I eventually saw them enough to make a positive id. It was kind of like trying to identify swallows. Their calls were also diagnostic; I went to my phone and loaded up the correct track on Birding by Ear to confirm. It was actually kind of fun to listen to the real live birds and the calls on my phone at the same time; there was no difference. The repeated "Ki-deeeeeee ki-dic" was the clincher.

I was somewhat inland, watching some near the beach dive into the water. They were apparently very near some people because they were obviously expressing surprise and laughing as the birds swooped down very close to them.

Before we left for the trip, I was somewhat regretful that we weren't going in the dead of winter, when people usually go to escape the awful eastern winter weather. My tax guy even chided me for it a little! But now I'm very glad I went when I did. This bird and the kite would not have been there.


Cornell: Least Tern


No comments:

Post a Comment