Labels

Sunday, September 22, 2024

354. Rock Ptarmigan

Date         July 13, 2024

Location    Lake Clark National Park, AK




Toward the evening, as I was about to turn in for the night after seeing a scoter fly right past me as I brushed my teeth by the river, our guide Colleen called out to me that there was a ptarmigan in camp. I yelled back that I would be right over. Fortunately, they tend to freeze in place like rabbits, so I grabbed my binoculars and made it over to her before it left.

We needed help identifying it. I had not brought my field guide, but Josh had one, so she went and fetched it while I stayed in sight of the bird, ostensibly to keep it from moving on.

When she returned, we had to discuss the markings at length, probably for about 10 minutes, before finally deciding on Rock.






No comments:

Post a Comment