Labels

Sunday, September 22, 2024

352. Pine Grosbeak

Date         July 9, 2024

Location    Katmai National Park, AK




This was the end of our last day at Katmai, and our boat back to King Salmon had left us behind even though we were just five minutes late back from the bus tour. So we had some time to sit around and wait for the next boat.

Part of the reason for being late in the first place was because I was filing a report on some stolen equipment -- someone had taken our bear fence that we'd left in the gear cache. Mieka convinced me to go back to the campsite's cache just in case I had left in there. I was sure that I hadn't, but we had nothing else to do so I decided to go. "Who knows," I said, "maybe I'll see a new bird on the way."

So as I walked the short hike back to the campsite, I spied a large reddish bird perched toward the bottom of a tree. The first impression I got was that it was like a robin or a cardinal but not either one -- the red was the wrong shade. I had brought my binoculars along just in case, so I whipped them out barely in time to get a good look at him before he flew off.

The bear fence was not at the campsite of course, but it was certainly worth the walk, just as I had jokingly suggested.





No comments:

Post a Comment