Labels

Friday, April 30, 2021

319. American Bittern

Date         April 24, 2021

Location    Wilkinson-Renwick Marsh Nature Preserve, De Kalb county, IL




As I stated in the entry for #320, the whole reason for coming to this preserve was to try to get this species. I was fairly confident that I would eventually get it after talking to Joe, but I had been birding for over an hour and was headed back to my car, thinking it would have to be another day.

While I take credit for walking slowly and attentively, he still alluded me. I saw him as he flushed from just off the side of the path on the right (walking toward the parking lot) in the last area of water before getting to higher ground and the old train station. He flew into the sea of reeds and of course vanished from sight.

So I could have had a better look, but I at least did see him flying off. You usually  don't see them at all, just hear them. (See my entry for Least Bittern #228)




No comments:

Post a Comment