Labels

Tuesday, July 6, 2021

329. Virginia Rail

Date         July 3, 2021

Location    Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, Horicon, WI




I was walking on a boardwalk trail, attached to the driving route near the Marsh Haven Nature Center, when I heard a brief iteration of the grunt-squeak "song." I got fairly close to the location of the sound and played it back to him from my Audubon app on my phone. A moment later he answered it, again very briefly (like two grunts worth), and I was able to focus in on where he was.

Of course he was very hidden, but I did manage to get a very small peek of his behind as he skulked through the dense marsh foliage. I waited a few moments to see if I could get a better look, but it never came. I walked along and got some great views of Soras, who were also chirping. As I walked back, I heard the grunting calls again, this time a slightly longer rendition.

I now have all of the "easy" rails -- all the ABA 1's. Black, Yellow, and the recently split Ridgeway's are left, and all are ABA 2. It may be a while . . .






No comments:

Post a Comment