Labels

Friday, June 18, 2021

326. Steller's Jay

Date         June 12, 2021

Location    Bryce Canyon National Park (Navajo Trail), UT




We arrived at essentially the bottom of the trail, and we sat down to take a short break. I informed Kevin and Mieka that I had heard something unfamiliar and was going to check it out.

Down from the trail a bit I tracked the chattering sound to a pine tree. Another man was there as well, looking at the tree. He suggested that it was maybe a Pinyon Jay. I got a fairly good look at it -- good enough to ID it, but not a great look since it was in the shadows of the tree limbs -- and looked in my field guide. It was then that I realized that it was a Steller's Jay, not Pinyon, and the man agreed with me. He was visiting from Wyoming.

The jay later moved over to where we were resting, and Mieka got some pictures, but they were without the telephoto lens, so they were basically useless unfortunately.






No comments:

Post a Comment