Labels

Sunday, June 21, 2020

307. Little Blue Heron

Date         June 11, 2020
Location    Saltgrass Bait & Tackle, Freeport, TX




While visiting family in Texas, I took an overnight trip down to Galveston to do some birding and swim in the ocean, something I rarely get the chance to do. My camping reservation was at Galveston Island State Park, but before the trip I scouted the various beaches nearby and decided to come up from the south and maybe stop along the way.

I found just such a place before even reaching Galveston (or the ocean). Along the highway near Freeport were several ponds and lakes on both sides. I pulled off the side of the road near a bait shop, and there were several people fishing. It was just a short walk to the water on the side of the road that I had pulled off on, so I went there first.

After a spectacular view of a Black Skimmer, who flew not 50 feet away from me -- so close I could hear the water swishing around his lower bill as he skimmed the water -- I saw a Little Blue Heron flying from my left to my right over the water a bit further away, just like in the photo above.




No comments:

Post a Comment